Although Trump is the target of outrage, particularly on the Left, I have doubts that he acted alone. Trump couldn’t pull this off on his own, he had to have help. I’ve narrowed the list of co-conspirators down to four, and you can help me figure out who to blame.
Suspect One: Jeff Sessions
In a speech Sessions delivered to ICE on May 7, 2018, he made his view clear—he will have zero tolerance. Here are a few key quotes from that speech.
- I have put in place a “zero tolerance” policy for illegal entry on our Southwest border. If you cross this border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you. It’s that simple.
- If you are smuggling a child, then we will prosecute you and that child will be separated from you as required by law.
- If you make false statements to an immigration officer or file a fraudulent asylum claim, that’s a felony.
This is what zero tolerance looks like. If you promise to separate children from their parents, it won’t be pretty. As much as you may hate Jeff Sessions he may be the most honest public face in Trump’s cabinet. He enforces the laws we quietly ignore and don’t have the nerve to change.
Suspect Two: The Democrats
Trump loves to blame the Democrats for anything unpopular. The dishes were broken when I borrowed them, essentially. But make no mistake: Trump is the president, and his party has control of both houses of congress and he put his own man on the supreme court. He could pass a law requiring democrats to wear clown suits on the House and Senate floor, and he’d have the court call it constitutional.
Suspect Three: The Trump Voters
Trump made it very clear from the first minute he was running for president that he was going to protect our southern border. You literally can not be more clear about your feelings on the issue than accusing an entire country of sending the US “rapists and murderers.” He promised to keep out illegal immigrants, and he would do whatever it took to keep them out.
If you don’t know what you’re getting into after he said that, you’re a fucking fool. If you believe in secret contracts (i.e., Trump is saying what he thinks the voters want to hear so he can really do the opposite), you’re a conspiracy theorist. Trump may be a compulsive liar, but he isn’t some storybook riddle-spinner that says the exact opposite of what he means every single word.
Suspect Four: God
Jeff Sessions has quoted Romans 13, which says “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.”
Pretty powerful words, which is probably why everyone from American slave-owners pre-Civil War to the Nazis (the real Nazis) have looked to it for inspiration. But it seems at odds with a few other passages, including:
- When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. (Leviticus 19:33-34)
- Do not oppress a foreigner; you yourselves know how it feels to be foreigners, because you were foreigners in Egypt. (Exodus 23:9)
- Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. (Ezekiel 16:49)
- …And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt. (Deuteronomy 10:18-19)
It’s almost as if The Bible says a lot of crazy things. Can you imagine what sort of damage an old book translated from Latin to Greek and then retranslated from Greek to English then taken out of context a thousand years later can do if we actually take it literally?
I’ve managed to narrow down the suspect list by two, but there may be more out there I haven’t found. Who do you think is responsible for this policy?
Sean Hannity Did Not Borrow Your Dishes! (Also, They Were Broken When He Took Them)
Calling Bullshit (on my own side)
Why Is there no MPAA for the NRA?
More Thoughts about the Parkland Shooting
Some Thoughts About The Shooting in Florida
Never be the first to stop clapping